Sunday, March 18, 2012

An Unwelcome House Guest

As I was starting to cook up some dinner one night, a bat let himself into my house. I let him fly around for a bit hoping he would find his way out before I went after him with the broom. He really did seem frantic to escape, but couldn't seem to figure out that the door was another foot lower than the spot where he was flying into the wall. Running out of options that didn't involve killing the lil' terror and then having to deal with a dead bat, I headed over to the neighbors' house for some reinforcements. And reinforcements I got.

Not knowing the word for bat I told them I needed help to get a little animal out of my house. "It's like a little black bird, well, more like a mouse with wings that only flies at night." I know that I had just confused them because when they got to my house and got a sight of my uninvited house guest they all echoed, "Ohhh murcielago" to each other. Which made me even more thankful that they unquestioningly took up arms of flashlights and flooded out of the house. Literally flooded - everyone was coming to see this. It's not everyday the gringa stops by the house after dark. Must be something good...

Five men and 4-year-old Dayana headed in to take on the beast. I waited outside on the bench with 3-year-old Janin. Flashlights were sweeping and laughter was rolling inside my house and then it got serious; they shut the door. After a few minutes they opened the door and flowed out like clowns out of a car. Asking if they had gotten it, fearing they smashed it and left bat guts on the floor, I was in formed that the bat would live to see another day. He was still very much alive, contained by two pieces of bellota, the dried grass used to weave sombreros. He was pretty tiny, probably 3-4 inches long. I have no idea how in the world they managed to catch that squirrely lil' bat with a couple pieces of dried grass. What I do know is that I asked the right guys for help. They've done this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment