Friday, September 16, 2011

Oh Holla!

Hojaldra. (Oh-holl-druh) Pretty much the best fried invention since the bloomin’ onion! It’s my new favorite breakfast food as a complement to scrambled eggs with onions or an egg sunny side up. It’s simply a fried dough creation that is equivalent to a softer elephant ear without the sugar. My host mom, Thelma, tells all of her friends about how I LOVE her hojaldra – this is exciting stuff from the heart of Panama! ;)

Mmmm nom nom!

To make this goodness in your own home: (Get Excited!)

Mix a couple cups of flour with a couple pinches of salt and then mix in some water and make a slightly moist dough. I made up measurements, but let’s be real, you wouldn’t trust me with cooking advice in the US, you shouldn’t do so with this. You’ll know when it’s right – I have confianza!

Let it sit covered overnight if you want! (I don’t actually think this step is essential... we just made it the night before)

In the morning, as you’re sipping your deliciously brewed coffee, pull out that dough and break it into balls about the size of a small egg?

These need to be pulled out into flat-ish disks. Throw some oil in a pan and heat it up – make it crackle! Fry each of the disks until it turns a deliciously delectable golden color.

If you try it out – let me know what you think!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment