Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Real Deal!

Swear-In was a success! I am officially a Peace Corps volunteer. (What were you before? You might be asking yourself. It's not important.) What it is, is exciting to finally be getting started!

Everyone really pulled it together and cleaned up nicely. We traded out the rubber boots, but there wasn't much I could do to cover up the real battle scars. A bruise from a flu shot, Chaco tan lines, scrapes, and some weird bites that remind me of the chigger bites I got a month ago... but bigger. When I met my new host family in my site they told me I was lucky that the bites weren't on my face! And other volunteers say the bugs stop biting after 6 months. We'll see.

The ladies at swear-in!

I had a very welcoming visit to my community two weeks ago (minus them thinking I have some contagious skin disease) and am very excited to head back! And it's the middle of orange season so that's something to look forward to as well.

It's exciting to actually get started. It hasn't really sunk in yet that I won't be headed back to meet up with my group in a week. I remember receiving the information packet for Panama where it said "Sites are 2-16 hours from Panama City". And I was thinking "Panama isn't that big AND Panama City is in the middle." But sure enough, there's a guy that's 15 hours from the capital. And that doesn't account for the time required for waiting for transportation to show up.
The provided structure has officially been removed from my life. I am making my own schedule. Am I qualified to do this?! :)

So this is it. I'm signing off for a couple weeks. Unless the big hairy spiders get into my peanut butter and I need to escape to find more! Wish me luck!

1 comment: