Thursday, November 24, 2011

My New Best Frenemy

Mud. It's become an integral part of my days and decision making process. People ask about it. I normally wear it. We're really starting to build a relationship!


Yesterday morning I had the great idea to wake up real early and hike out to meet my friends for Thanksgiving. I was just too excited to wait any longer! I started a little after 5am so the sun was no help. I was going to have to travel by the light of my headlamp. Now, I'll admit, I didn't really think this one through all the way. It was dark, middle of the rainy season, and I don't know the trail all that well. Now it's not that I was going to get lost because the hike out is essentially on a dirt road that's just impassable by trucks in the rainy season. There was just the possibility that I may end up on the wrong side of the trail, knee deep in a mud pit.

That's essentially what happened. I had my umbrella/walking stick combo to help me out. No shoes were lost in the trek, but it was close! And a nice man gave me a hand up when I missed the on-ramp for the high and dry trail. I escaped with all damages washed off in the stream. Until next time dear Mud, until next time.

There is a system. I just haven't figured it out yet. Take a look at the following mud puddle:

Where would you step? Thankfully some nice people have embedded strategically placed rocks, but with muddy foot prints on them they're kind of hard to see.


This is all fine and dandy when I'm following someone more experienced than I or when I have time and adequate lighting to scope it out and determine where to go. It's another story at 5 in the morning with my headlamp... :)

And if you happen to get dirty, there's an art to shoe/foot washing. I'm not a huge an of this and I normally just practice it when there is a stream conveniently located. Some people, like my host mom from training, Thelma, go to great lengths to make sure their feet are presentation worthy after a muddy hike!
I'm learning lots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment