Monday, November 7, 2011

Two Weeks Down!

Two weeks down and I'm feeling good. The lack of electricity is a transition. Not so much for having lights, but for doing things like recharging my cellphone battery. Even though I'm living in the sticks, it's still comforting to know that I could call civilization on a whim!

The Peace Corps describes the first three months as Proyecto Amistad or Project Friendship. Make friends, learn about your community, just be. But since using the word project too early is a bit taboo, I'm going to call it Operation: Friendship. It's a bit more adventurous that way. Like everyday I need to be hiding behind bushes and sneaking around at night! Ya, that's how I'll get integrated!

Things I've been doing:

Learning to tejer sombreros pintados, the traditional Panama hat.



Pilar-ing rice. Busting it up to make the husk (is that the right word?) fall off.


Collecting the jokes from these hard candies - like Laffy Taffy jokes - and practicing them so I can be funny! Ha!

Trail running? Ya, I'll let you know how that goes.

Learning to do my hair. Or teaching about cheap Halloween costumes - Cousin It?!


Exploring! I think this might be my favorite rock so far to go sit on!

Life is pretty good. I can't complain. I'm eating lots of rice, but have come to find that I really enjoy eating rice. Especially with fried banana on top?! Mmmm!

2 comments:

  1. You can make a hat. You can pound rice. Bet you can even comb your hair with a stick. It's your special day, so YOU can do ANYthing.

    Nice rock. YOU rock, too. We miss you, Bri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one can stop me!!!
    They may try to stop me.
    They may take me away in a tin can.
    They MaY dump me over a wall...
    But I'll pop up again!
    And THEN do you know what I'm going to do?!?!

    ReplyDelete