Saturday, June 30, 2012

We Hiked That!


There are two distinctive peaks I can see while looking westward from my community, the jagged one on the left and Orari on the right.  Both of which Mark, Lauren, and I decided had features of sleeping men.



A couple volunteers headed out from Alyssa’s site, Gourd #2 (where’s #1?!), to climb up Orari.  It was about a 2 hour hike, including the detour, to get up to the top.  And it was pretty standard hiking until a certain point.



We got closer and Alyssa says, “There’s not really a path here, just find your way up.”



Then we walked on a skinny ridge, up and over and up again to get to the top.  When we finally made it we were all pretty exhausted.



I live "over there" somewhere.

Then we had to come down.  Remember learning to do the crab walk and wondering when it would ever come in handy?  Well, I figured it out!  Being on a skinny ridge that dropped off pretty steeply was enough incentive for me to keep my unbalanced center of gravity low as I made my way back down.  Balance has never been one of my finest qualities.


The saw grass left our legs looking like we’d gotten in a brawl with a cat, but we made it down safely a couple hours later just as a storm was rolling in.  I caught transportation home and hiked back in the dark.  

Mission: Complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment