Sunday, November 11, 2012

Workin' in the Field


I just got done doing the surveying of an aqueduct this week.  It was hot and involved a lot of hiking and it's not the most rewarding work.  It took 4 days to finish and the last two I found my mind wandering to the amazingness of field work that includes things like pick-up trucks… that have air conditioning!  I had a summer at the mine where Terry and I would go out in a red F-250 driving around for a couple hours, stopping every 20 minutes to take a water sample or better yet pick wild raspberries and blueberries.  We’d sing along to Queen of Hearts and if we’re having full disclosure, I may have napped in between some stops.  Those were the days! 

These guys were great though.  They caught on super quick and their wives fed me lunch and gave me fruit!



Don’t get me wrong, I’m not that soft, I have had my fair share of borderline miserable fieldwork days, so I’m not complaining.  It wasn’t like the time Miriam made us hike up this giant hill in the blazing sun without water.  The following is not the most flattering picture I have of myself, but I think it very accurately portrays how I was feeling.  :)

And there was the time I ripped my pants stepping up onto a water tank, as illustrated in the following photo (thank goodness I wore spandex and carried athletic tape!), right before I slipped off a wet rock and slid head first down a hill.  That was one for the record books! 

Come to think of it, this work has been a breeze!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment